Horror Reviews

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Strangers


Review by Matt

This film follows James (Scott Speedman) and Kristen (Liv Tyler), a couple returning from a friends wedding. They arrive at the house of James, where the mood is very tense after Kristen's decline of a wedding proposal by James. The record player is playing romantic music, rose pedals are trailed from the bed to the tub and bottles of wine are iced and ready for the drinking. The tension between the two could be cut with a knife.

After returning from a bath, Kristen and James sit at the kitchen table and have a small chat that somehow leads to an attempt at sex, then a knock at the door interrupts. A blonde girl hiding in the shadows asks for an unfamiliar name. After the girl leaves, James decides to go for a drive rather then pick up we're they left off. This is where the good stuff comes in.

Kristen, now alone, starts getting terrorized by the masked bunch with various mind games and door bangings. She does eventually get a hold of James for him to return, and once he does, it becomes a full out war.

I must say, I really enjoyed this flick. The masks are great looking and create a playful yet creepy vibe and the atmosphere this film has is reminiscent of John Carpenter's Halloween with the killers constantly lurking within the darkness. The best line by far is the response to Kristen asking, "why are you doing this to us?". The masked blonde girl replies, "because you were home." I love that! Everything the killers did showed no true reason for why they are tormenting this couple other than just for fun.

I did hear a couple of negative reviews before viewing this film and here's my take on them. Some people feel that this film ripped off the French movie 'Them' but I have to disagree. Yes, it is a little similar with a group of killers messing with a couple, but it was executed much differently. The second complaint I heard was with the ending. I won't say anything about it, but I had no complaints with it. In fact, I was worried throughout my watching of the entire movie because of these complaints, but luckily I still enjoyed it. All I can say is, look forward to part 2!

Overall, I would say this has been one of the best slasher films of the year. Definitely pick this one up when it hits stores October 21st.

No comments: